Sunday, July 12, 2009

Unit 3 Web Activity Final Draft

This is a web activity which used typography to express the words collaboration, alienation, synergy, and bossiness. There are four pictures created out of only letters to express the words. The word collaboration was a combination of the letter “H” to create a ladder. The idea was for the letters to work together, or collaborate, to create an image of a ladder. The picture of synergy was created with the letter “V”. The letter was moved in different positions to create a diamond like image which is shows synergy. The third image is the alphabet in a bold, fancy font alienating the lowercase “Y”. Lastly, the big block “B” shows bossiness over the smaller, lowercase “B’s”.



The comments I received indicated that I needed to adjust the four images to fit the criteria of CARP. For the collaboration image, I used alignment to make the ladder of “H’s” look cleaner and organized. The synergy image needed an even flow to make the image have proper proximity. The alienation image had the group of letters capitalized and a more stylistic font to show they were alienating the lowercase “Y”. For the bossiness image, the “B” was changed to a bold, intimidating block “B”. The lowercase “B’s” were aligned and placed in proximity under the bold “B” to show they were intimidated. Finally, all four images were separated and aligned to four even corners.
I feel the images for the web activity were created properly under the rules of CARP and type. Many of the images display the contrast, alignment, repetition, and proximity recommendations of CARP. The type of the third image, alienation, displays how the lowercase and upper case letters are contrasted to highlight part of the image (215). The font of the business image complements the meaning of the word (214). In addition, both images show repetition, which create a sense of unity among the upper and lower case letters. The images are not over crowded and flow nicely when put together. The images are in close proximity, which provides a clean, organized appearance (84). I enjoyed creating the images out of letters. I chose to do this activity to see what could be created with the simple use of letters. The book was very helpful because it provided examples of proper uses of type. I used multiple styles of type, including font, size, and color before finishing the images. The information of the book shows how many combinations of fonts and sizes there are to change an image. I learned that a simple change of the font can change the whole message of an image.

Original draft and comments are below.

No comments:

Post a Comment